IRENA report 'Fostering a Blue Economy – Offshore Renewable Energy'
A new IRENA report 'Fostering a Blue Economy – Offshore Renewable Energy' discusses the potential that offshore renewables have in decarbonising the electricity system and achieving the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. The report presents the current status of the different offshore renewable technologies, including ocean energy, and outlines the actions that will boost them to their full potential.
For ocean energy, the report proposes the following actions:
- De-risk projects and unlock research, development and deployment funding
- Couple Blue Economy sectors with ocean energy
- Boost regulatory schemes for ocean energy
- Develop innovative hybrid renewable energy systems
- Build marine spatial knowledge and evaluate its impact
You can read the full report here.