Technology Working Group Workshop: Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda - Structure & Challenge Areas
18 September 2019
11 am (Brussels, Berlin, Paris)
10 am (London, Dublin, Lisbon)
Presenter: Jose Luis Villate, Tecnalia
The second workshop of the Technology Working Group focused on the general structure of the Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda (SRIA). The regrouped challenge areas including the specific technology challenges were presented.
The feedback gathered from the working group will be fed into the draft SRIA. In the next workshop, the SRIA content will be validated.
View the presentation slides.
After the presentation, the TWG members were invited to comment and ask questions. The main findings were:
- Reorganisation of the challenge areas resulted in six technological categories, to be completed with one non-technological category. This categorisation can be changed and regrouped in order to improve the balance or to add clarity.
- The progress made since the previous SRIA will be taken into account by explaining this progress in the state-of-the-art chapter in the introduction. There might be similar topics because sometimes progress was made at lower TRLs and now the same issue needs to be tackled at higher TRLs.
- The SRIA will distinguish between wave and tidal technologies but not different devices.
- ‘Reliability and survivability’ is suggested as a challenge area
- In some wave devices, mooring is part of the device and does not fit into the ‘Balance of plant’ challenge area. In these cases, mooring is part of the prime mover and will be addressed in the ‘Wave devices’ challenge area.